In your opinion, where or when did the green movement begin?

2

Answers

It really depends on what we count as “The Green Movement”. I mean, in the late 16th century the Japanese Shogunate set up preserves to protect against deforestation. There are even earlier examples but that one is often considered the first time a government intervened to protect its nation’s natural resources.

In my opinion, the modern green movement began with the 1962 release of Rachel Carson’s “Silent Spring”.  This non-fiction book centers around the usage of pesticides, particurally DDT, and the toll it takes on the natural environment.  This book prompted the goverenment and the public to re-evaluate how man-made products, pest-control and otherwise, affect the world around us.  I strongly recommend a read of, in my opinion, the most important book in environmental literature.