Would you be more likely to use public transportation if it took the form of bus rapid transit (large buses operating in dedicated lanes, immune to traffic and on a more reliable schedule)?

Yes, I live in Los Angeles and I can tell you that “rapid” busses work much better.  In most cases the independent bus lane is known as a busway.  Here in Los Angeles we call the bus lines that run on these Metro Liners.  They run so much faster.  It is easier for the city to just pave a road than to build a rail line.  And it is better and safer for everyone because the busses don’t have to interact with traffic.  I think a lot more people would uses busses if they didn’t have to wait in traffic.  The only problem with busways is that they lack accessibility that street busses do.