Would a soda tax keep people from buying it?

Let me tell you the sob story of a soda addict. I wasn’t allowed to touch the stuff as a young kid, but when I got older my grandma always had it in the house. By high school, I was addicted, and doing things to get my soda fix. When I was limited to one soda a day, I would use my own cash from my job to buy more, bring home huge, sweating cups from my fast food burger making job. Now, I’m 23 and hate the fact that I buy soda when there’s free water in my house. But if I don’t have it, I have problems.

So, no, I don’t think a soda tax will keep people from buying the stuff. Just like cigarettes, we’re addicted, and it’s going to take a whole lot more than money to help us kick the habit.

This article (http://www.cafemom.com/dailybuzz/healthy_living/7318/Soda_Tax_Angers_Moms) argues that other people feel the same way I do. But they say soda can’t be compared to cigarettes. I beg to differ. Is there a 12 step program for me?

No. There are taxes on many commodities, such as cigarettes or alcohol because people will continue to buy these products, thus the government knows full well, tax revenue from these items will stay steady. Soda is probably less of a stable commodity, but the price of soda is relatively low, so that a tax probably would not add much additional money to a total amount, thus, people would most likely still buy soda even if there was a tax on it.

A soda tax could keep some people from buying soda, especially if they are on a tight budget or unwilling to pay anymore than they currently do. Studies performed on soda conclude that for every 10 percent increase in price there is an 8 to 10 percent decrease in consumption. One of the goals of the soda tax is to decrease the rate of obesity and increase funds available for health care initiatives.