Would more green space in cities help people realize the importance of nature?

This is just my personal opinion, but I don’t think it would do that much. Nature is so much more than just green space. For me when I see green space in a city it just looks nice and it’s a good break from the skyscrapers. But I have never seen green space (unless it’s huge, like central park perhaps) as very nature-like. You lack the wildlife, the quiet, the sereneness. For people to really realize the importance of nature, I think they need to both research the topic and experience true nature first hand.

Those are just my thoughts though.

Green space in urban areas tend to be highly manicured pieces of real estate. Even very natural seeming parks in big cities were planned by designers, to only imitate nature. I think that parks do help people appreciate nature and wildlife, but they definitely do not get the whole experience simply by sitting on a bench during their lunch hour. City parks and green spaces are still human creations for human purposes, whereas nature is not because it is bigger and more complex than that.

If people already don’t care for the environment, I unfortunately don’t think that more green space in cities will change their opinions much.  Most people are just focused on getting from point A to point B during the day, and don’t pay attention to much else.  I would hope that it would inspire some people to care more about the environment, but my thought are that not very many people would take the bait.