Would it still be legal to raft down the Mississippi river like Huck Finn?

I don’t know about the legality of it, but it would be difficult due to all of the locks and dams on the Mississippi.  Between Minneapolis, MN and Iowa there are 13 locks and dams to pass through.  While this website does say there is a procedure for recreational watercraft to pass through it, it could be a bit dangerous on just a raft, and the trip would likely be quite a bit different than it would have been for Huck.

I believe U.S. riperion law states that nobody except the federal government owns U.S. waterways, so property issues shouldn’t be an issue.  I don’t think there’s any law against it, but I’d suggest contacting a state environmental agency in a state adjacent to the river.  But as GreenBean said, it won’t be like the book; construction has changed the river significantly.

Several modern travel writers have gone down the Mississippi by boat. None of them risked going by raft, though. Some used a canoes or kayaks; author Johnathan Raban used a sixteen-foot motor boat. 

Some books about Mississippi River travel are:

Old Glory by Johnathan Raban

Around the Bend by C.C. Lockwood

Mississippi Solo: A River Quest by Eddy Harris

Bluffs to Bayous by Byron Curtis

There is also a 4-volume series of guidebooks about the Mississippi called Discover! America’s River Road