Would it help of we sorted our curbside recycling better than we currently do?

I think it might help if there were bins at our grocery stores we could bring our recycling to and sort it there.  I think one of the main problems with pre-sorted curbside recycling is that it is difficult to have the bins correctly allocated.  For example, many of them started by having nearly equal portions, but the plastic bottles would fill up faster than say cardboard and the truck would end up having to make more trips and wasting more gas.  A situation where we would separate our own recycling and bring it to a central location on an errand we need to make anyway might be a bit more ideal, and as a second option, they are catering to us with recycling that gets thrown all together and sorted at the plant.