Would it help the environment if we convinced electronics manufacturers to produce less chargers?

Of course it would.  If everything used the mini-USB standard (or some other standard) instead of proprietary chargers (I’m looking at you, Sony, Apple and Nokia), we wouldn’t even need a new charger in every package.

I agree that a sort of universal charger, regardless of brand would be helpful. I think one type of charger for all computers, one for all cellphones, one for all cameras, etc. (at least within countries) would be a great way to cut back on the production of more electronics. However, because this is nowhere near a reality, make sure to unplug chargers when they are not in use because they sill use electricity even when they are not actually charging anything.