Will we be able to adjust to global warming as it happens?

That won’t be answered until it happens.  The way I see the Green movement is as an attempt to do just what you have asked: adapt.  Any noticeable evolutionary changes in Humans take time to develop, and considering the projections of the next 100 years or so, there’s reason to think that we wouldn’t have time to evolve to our changing climate, thus the only other option is adaptation.

I think that if Humans adapt it will be through technology.  Energy efficiency and environmental sustainability are huge, but as the effects of climate change continue we will need to find new technologies that enable adaptation to a major change in climate.  One sweet deal with Green technology is the potential to adapt while also benefitting the environment.