Will there be a birth dirty? Will third world countries not using birth control eventually so overpopulate the world that no matter what we do we’re going to fail as a species?

4

Answers

I see your concern, however it is not the third world countries and their lack of birth control that you should worry about. Earth is being populated by first world and developing countries just the same. We just are able to see the tragedy of 3rd world countries and the problems that arise from unwanted pregnancies. This is not to say third world countries are not overpopulated. However, placing fault solely on the lack of birth control in third world countries for an armageddon of the human species–that has yet to come–is a gross overstatement.

I disagree. Third world countries have a much higher growth rate than Developed countries. For example, the U.K is at 0.02%, Germany at 0.0% etc. While places like Afghanistan are growing at 4.8%, which means their population will double in just 15 years. This is not about placing fault on any one people, but rather outlining where the problems are, and what responsibility people have to fix them. I think the developed countries, for example, have an enormous responsibility in reducing over-consumption of natural resources and offering aid and education to developing countries. Similarly, countries in the developing world have huge responsibilities for slowing their growth rates. Whether it’s going to be an “amegeddon” or not, the problems of hunger, resource wars, disease, and both societal and environmental degradation will undoubtedly get worse if there isn’t action. There are many ways to slow population growth: Birth control, abstinence, emigration, and education -especially in women (one of the best ways in my opinion.) More unpleasant ways are: War, famine, and disease. It’s vital that we invest in ways like the former to deal with population growth, rather that allow the situation to get so bad that the later becomes a reality.

I disagree with the answer below. Third world countries have a much higher growth rate than Developed countries. For example, the U.K is at 0.02%, Germany at 0.0% etc. While places like Afghanistan are growing at 4.8%, which means their population will double in just 15 years. This is not about placing fault on any one people, but rather outlining where the problems are, and what responsibility people have to fix them. I think the developed countries, for example, have an enormous responsibility in reducing over-consumption of natural resources and offering aid and education to developing countries. Similarly, countries in the developing world have huge responsibilities for slowing their growth rates. Whether it’s going to be an “amegeddon” or not, the problems of hunger, resource wars, disease, and both societal and environmental degradation will undoubtedly get worse if there isn’t action. There are many ways to slow population growth: Birth control, abstinence, emigration, and education –especially in women (one of the best ways in my opinion.) More unpleasant ways are: War, famine, and disease. It’s vital that we invest in ways like the former to deal with population growth, rather that allow the situation to get so bad that the later becomes a reality.

The question above was addressing the “eminant end” of our species based on overpopulated 3rd world countries. I am not saying what you said is wrong. In fact, I agree that many 3rd world countries are in need of solid sexual education (education in general, proper access to modern birth control, and *possibly abstinence programs (abstinence programs do not necessarily work). However–correct me if I am wrong–I am going to infer that the original question was implying that this population issue will eventually deplete our natural resources. As far as I know, 1st world countries are pretty good in this department. Again, yes I agree that for the sake of impoverished countries, we should invest in the things you have mentioned. However, resolving hunger, resource wars, and disease is a bit more complex than simply slowing down population growths in 3rd world countries.

By the way (for the specific question above), high growth rates do not suggest large numbers. Afghanistan’s population is ranked 42 in the world at just above 29 million, while China a near developed nation ranks number 1 at around 1.33 billion; population density is somewhat simlar. Even if it doubles in 15 years, it will overall not make but a dent in the earths total population.

The unrestricted growth of population in 3rd world countries will not result in a reality where our species becomes threatened. Rather in my opinion, the unfortunate overpopulation will most likely conttinue to plague it’s own country with the autrocities listed by ktjphoto.

Again, I do agree and commend you ktjphoto for advocating attention to the overpopulation problem. Do not get me wrong please 😀

Here is another question:
      Howe exactly do you suppose fixing the overpopulation in third world countries will make an impact on autrocities such as hunger, disease, resource wars, etc–if at all?