Will this New (Criegee) Molecule add to the “Acid Rain” problem ?

I’m sure I’m mistaken, but I thought I heard someone say, that the Molecules turns the pollutants into Nitrates then fall back to Earth.
Thanks !

Good question.  To be honest, the whole issue seems to be a bit of ‘damned if you do, damned if you don’t.’

Here’s a way to think about it: sulphur dioxide is a poisonous gas. Volcanoes release it as do many industrial processes (giving us smog/pollution). When volcanoes erupt they are known to have a cooling effect; the plume blocks the sun…but then you are left with literally a poision cloud.  

Nature has a way of lessening the negative effects caused by something like a volcano by way of the Criegee intermediate. Through this, the poisonous gas turns into sulphuric acid…which, you know, is an acid. Now, acid is not all bad for soil, and sometimes especially necessary when trying to balance out the soil’s pH levels.  

Nonetheless, large quantities of either is not good, and it is in my opinion that the geoengineering the Criegee intermediate to combat global warming is not the best option. While it is still important to learn about things like the Criegee intermediate, it is not the answer.

Check out the sites below for an additional read