Will earth day ever be a nationally recognized holiday?

Well that depends on the interests of Congress and the President. Since passing the new health legislation is the big topic everyone is concerned about, environmental issues are going to need to take a backseat for the time being. Don’t give up hope though! Even though Earth Day is not a nationally recognized holiday, it still provides a time where people can celebrate and appreciate this planet. Sooner or later it will probably become a holiday.

I would say it is a nationally recognized holiday, but it is not an officially observed holiday. I doubt, however, that it will ever be a mandated day-off type holiday as are New Year’s, Christmas or the 4th of July. But who knows. I think it would be great if it became a national day of service, where people volunteer to turn off the lights or work from home, help environmental organizations or learn about the environment.