Is wikipedia a credible source for information?

College professors abhor it, professionals complain about it’s inaccuracies and a recent study reveals that most wikipedians are western educated males. Only 13% of contributors are women, even less are from Africa, and yet most people I know go to Wikipedia first for online information. Should it be trusted and cited?

I think for general use, and to get an idea on a topic, Wikipedia is totally fine to use.  For a more formal purpose though, I would not rely on the site.  One helpful tool I have found though, is to scroll to the bottom of the Wikipedia page and follow the links to the sources they used.  It is more reliable, and professors don’t know the difference.

Sometimes Wikipedia has the most information in one place, such as facts about an animal, or travel information. As previously mentioned, Wikipedia is communally revised. I think it is generally a credible source, but it’s important to keep in mind that since anyone can edit it, the information might not be accurate. I try to stick with credible reports for scientific information. 

Wikipedia it a secondary or tertiary source, just as any encyclopedia is. It is reviewed continuously by dozens to thousands of people – ensuring its accuracy, which by at least one study is comparable to (or better than) the Encyclopedia Britannica.

It is far better than the answers here, which typically come from one or two people and have no real review.

Any encyclopedia should be used as a starting point. Use the references to find the original sources, and derive your own conclusions.