Why would people slaughter birds?

I am not sure what you mean by people slaughtering birds. People hunt birds, and eat them. Chickens and turkeys are birds, and people eat them too. Many fowl are considered food for people, and have been used as such for thousands of years. The issue of a “slaughter” in my opinion comes when people kill what they do not eat. That makes the killing of the bird a waste, and calls for a words with a negative undertone such as “slaughter.”

People slaughter birds for food and sport. Birds are raised in factory farms for food and they are hunted for recreational purposes. Why is this? I guess it is because our civilization is accustom to these practices.

Maybe since birds are considered the most free species, that somehow humans are jealous? Just a thought.