why would anyone care about surface tension?

Examples of the effects of surface tension are surprisingly common.  The related technology of surface tension can be used to detect Jaundice, creating water-resistant material, or to be more effective with your washing techniques, to name a few.  Check out the attached article for some more information.

Surface tension allows for cool looking stuff too. Bugs can walk on water because of it!

[img_assist|nid=202310|title=Bug on Water|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=427]Also, here’s something one of my teachers showed my class in high school. If you sprinkle pepper flakes on water, they’ll float because of surface tension. If you add soap to the water, it screws up the surface tension, so the flakes will sink.