Why was daylight savings time originally started?

Daylight Saving Time was originally adopted after World War I in an effort to conserve the fuel needed for electric power. In 1918, the United States adopted “An Act to preserve daylight and provide standard time for the United States.” It was used inconsistently until 1966 when Congress stepped in. More history of Daylight Saving Time can be found from the citation link, I hope this helps! 

Daylight Saving Time originally began as a means to save energy. Ideas for the practice began earlier, first by Benjamin Franklin and then more seriously by a British builder in 1907. But DST wasn’t implemented on a large scale until World War I. By extending the amount of sunlight during the day, fuel was saved by lessening the amount of electricity that needed to be used for lighting. It was observed intermitently until World War II, when the U.S. adopted it nationally again.