Why Vegan?

There is one caveat to vegetarian instead of vegan food. Animal protein, particularly cow milk protein, binds with all the healing antioxidants and renders them USELESS to our body! It’s so easy and healthier to be vegan!

Why would someone choose to be vegan? To help end world hunger for one! Here are two uplifting videos to help everyone understand why so many people are making this life affirming choice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKr4HZ7ukSE and http://www.veganvideo.org

Vegan is the a very courageous choice for everyone. According to the New York Times Magazine, “An Animal’s Place,” by Michael Pollen 11/10/02, “There’s a schizoid quality to our relationship with animals, in which sentiment and brutality exist side by side. Half the dogs in America will receive Christmas presents this year, yet few of us pause to consider the miserable life of the pig – an animal easily as intelligent as a dog – that becomes the Christmas ham.” We learn that animals are a part of our life and our community; we must respect them by giving them an opportunity to live and not harm them. 

I am a vegan for multiple reasons. I think eating and wearing animals is barbaric.

My primary reason would be sympathy towards animals. I think many animals (USED for food and clothing) live in fear and discomfort, suffer and die morbidly. I know not all people treat their animals badly, but how can you really trust anyone?

I believe it is morally wrong to eat animals, unless it is necessary for survival.

I also strongly support the conservation of the environment. The meat and dairy industry is a major pollutant to our water, air and soil. We also decrease biodiversity in areas by overfishing or hunting or hungrily seeking a rare or hard to reach fish or animal.

The resources and food required to make 1 pound of beef could provide a lot of energy, food and water. To be exact according to John Robbins, “2500 gallons of water, 12 pounds of grain, 35 pounds of topsoil and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline.” In my opinion, the meat industry is contributing to world hunger. 

Go veg!