Why is Solar energy so popular in places like Spain and Germany?

It does seem strange that Germany is so heavily invested in solar energy.  They are not particularly warm or sunny.  However, they are the world’s leading producer of photovoltaic cells, so that explains part of it.  Also, in my opinion, Germans as a whole seem to be more environmentally conscious.  From what I learned of Germany through 7 years of studying German, it is customary to voice displeasure at too much packaging on a good, by leaving what is deemed excess at the store.  Additionally, recycling has been a part of their communities for a long time, so they are primed for accepting these types of green technologies.

As far as Spain, I do not know.  It seems quite a bit more sunny, but I cannot speak as to the culture or environmental movent of the people of spain.