Why is mercury such a dangerous chemical?



  1. 0 Votes

    Mercury is considered especially toxic to humans. The chemical and its effects on our species has been linked to autism, Alzheimer’s, ALS, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s, other neurodevelopmentale problems, nephrotoxicity and cancer.

  2. 0 Votes

         Mercury is a neurotoxin, and even exposure to small amounts can be harmful. Exposure to large amounts can harm the brain, heart, kidney, lungs and immune system. It has been shown that exposure to mercury in the womb can harm children’s neurological development. Mercury may be a carcinogen, but the data is inconclusive. Prolonged exposure to mercury can cause increased excitability, tremors, mood swings, and excessive shyness. In the past, mercury was used in making hats, and the symptoms of mercury poisoning in hatmakers were mistaken for madness. This gave birth to the expression, “mad as a hatter”. 

         Nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of mercury. The EPA says moderate consumption of these trace amounts is not harmful for most people, but it is important to avoid certain species, especially for pregnant women. 

    Information on which fish contain too much mercury can be found here:


Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!