Why is it such a big deal to have space set aside for future generations to see?

That’s a pretty loaded question. At the root of a response is the assumption that people value wilderness and nature, that people feel a certain emotion, appreciation, meaning when they happen upon a particularly beautiful beach, forest, mountain, or even a local city park. There is an intrinsic value that humans have placed on untouched land in much the same way that it places value on music, art, athleticism, even human interaction, and people would hope that their children and those that come after them will have the same opportunity to appreciate those same things.

I agree we first need to have a value for nature which I personally think we are losing more of every day. Kids no longer see beauty in or use nature as much as we used too so I don’t know if it is as important as it was in the past.