Why don’t more people recycle aluminum and paper products?

For a lot of people, I think that recycling is a convenience thing.  It’s not good, but a lot of Americans are lazy, and although we realize the importance of recycling and the help it does for the environment, a lot of people aren’t willing to put in that extra effort.  If there is no recycling bin around, then they are willing to just throw their stuff in the trash.  The best thing that we can do is to get more recycling bins available so that people don’t have that excuse.

Some people also are not very connected with how materials are sourced, and therefore think of recycling as useless or silly. Why recycle that piece of paper when there’s always more for you at the store? It’s a symptom of consumersit society, that bonds with the convenience factor noted by the poster above.

jaw6827 and yzezzy make good points about people seeing recycling as inconvenient or pointless. However, I would argue that a lot of people don’t recycle because they are unsure as to what can and cannot be recycled. It becomes confusing and frustrating for people, which then causes the laziness. Also, I think a lot of people feel like they are just one person and can’t really make a difference; or they think their choice of not recycling wont matter because so many other people do recycle. We just have too many people thinking this way. 

A lot of peoples are still not fully aware of the impact these things have on the environment, and there’s still a lot who don’t care.

It’s a combination of laziness, misinformation, short-term decision making, and the notion that what any single individual does doesn’t make a difference. One way to fix this is government incentives for recycling — also, as recycling because more and more the norm, it will become gauche to not recycle. Personally, when I don’t recycle, I rationalize it, but I’m really just being lazy.