Why doesn’t any grocery store or third-party organization provide extensive research and labeling of all of a market’s products based on organic/GMO/food miles/water use/sustainability/etc. criteria?

This is a great suggestion, I think there are a few reasons why this position doesn’t exist. Although the green movement is in full swing and consumers are demanding to know where their food is coming from, the economy is having a difficult supporting many industries and certain large discount chains are slowly trying to choke out their competition. I think the sheer number ofpeople demanding that there be someone to fill this position need to increase, that way, individual stores could have the resources to do this themselves, or hire that third party to do it for them.