why does Julian have such good pies?

Based on their website, they started out using fresh apples and really enjoying what they did.

Great Question! I love Julian Pies. I was there for the Julian apple festival on October 3rd and 4th; the pies were delicious. I had a pumpkin apple pie ala mode that was truly scrumptious. They are delicious not only because of the ancient recipes used to make them, nor because of the fact that during the fall they use local fruit from their nearby orchards.

In my opinion they are such good pies because of the warmth of the small town cultural aesthetic. Warm smiles and friendly faces surround you as you walk along the short street that is downtown Julian. It is easy to find a vendor selling a cup of pure, fresh, and sometimes steaming warm apple cider with a dash of cinnamon. It is only an hours drive from San Diego to reach the gnarled grove of Oaks that surrounds this mountain town. It is worth it to drive to Julian grab a slice of apple pie and drive back home. I know because I’m an economist who weighs her decisions carefully and yet has made this trip several times. Yum!