Why does it seem like there is beef between bike riders and auto drivers?

I think because each perceives the other as creating public safety hazards. I’ve heard many a tale of cyclists have car doors opened into them and speeding vehicles cutting them off or not noticing they were there. I think drivers can also be frustrated at sharing lanes with bike riders who are difficult to see and can’t travel as fast as cars, forcing car drivers to sometimes slow down or swerve to avoid them. This is a big problem on narrow roads. I think the biggest problem is that most cities aren’t bike friendly: if there were more streets with bike lanes maybe this wouldn’t be an issue, but in most places they aren’t common. And, of course, cyclists using the sidewalk instead causes issues for pedestrians and is illegal in some places. We need a public transit infrastructure which makes it easier for cyclists and drivers to avoid accidents, collisions, and traffic congestion. This would require a lot of time, effort, and resources to improve and alter existing roadways, so it’s probably not going to happen.