Why do you think that Tesla focused on a sports car before building a passenger car?

Personally, I think that Tesla wanted to show that you don’t have to compromise style, performance, and grandeur to be eco-friendly.  They basically wanted to create the Porsche of electric cars to contrast cars like the Prius.  Tesla demonstrates how you can have your cake an eat it too — you can be environmentally friendly while driving one of the coolest sports cars around. 

I remember Conan O’Brien making a joke once about someone who drives a Prius.  Furthermore, someone once asked on this Web site why all Prius owners are “smug”.  To put a “new” type of environmentally friendly car out there is to change the thinking of those who drive them.