Why do you suppose people continue to be subsistence farmers if they are not making money from their farms?

This has to do with geography and subsistence farmers are farmers that only do agriculture for themselves and don’t make money off of their agriculture.

One reason that I can think of that subsistence farmers continue to farm only for themselves, without profit, is nutrition. There are a lot of concerns about processed food and many people fell it is much safer to grow their own food. In this type of world it is easy to forget there is more than money. The only other reason that I can think of is nutrition. To actually survive, I would have to say that these subsistence farmers have some other form of income.

You have to remember that subsistence farmers do not necessarily have another form of income to begin with; if memory serves me right, most of the world lives on less than $2 a day. These farmers farm in order to survive, and any concerns about processed food would not even cross the mind of a subsistence farmer in a developing country because that person would only wish to survive another day on the food they have grown.