Why do we wait until we have a water crisis to start saving water?

I think most people here in the US are very ignorant about water shortages since we get water (as much as we want) on a usual basis.  When given the choice, people will probably do whatever is most convenient for them.  So rather than being conscious about saving water it is usually using as much water as we want to get our tasks done. 

I have to agree. But it’s not just the US, every country that has running water takes it for granted. Human, by nature, get used to good very quickly. Even though minor adjustments to how everyone uses water would have a large impact on water consumption and possibly eliminate the problem altogether some people are still unwilling to give up the things that they got so used to.