Why do we make so many single use cooking items?

Like the garlic masher, plantains peeler, and crap.

My guess is just that we in America love to eat food and make ridiculous dishes. Americans love to cook and many people have that as a hobby, which leads to products like the garlic masher and sheers made specially to cut pizza. There are a lot of foodies in this country that love products like this. Here are some other outrageous ones.

There are so many tools being marketed that are unnecessary. My friend told me about seeing a single sandwich tupperware like container that had a compartment to put an ice pack in. Who needs this? It reminds me of a post i wrote a few months ago about this topic. The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb talks about a concept that people tend to think that a really specific purpose means that it is more likely. See my link to read more about what i mean.