Why do stores print out such long receipts?

Most stores not only list what you purchased on the receipt, but also give you credit card information, coupons, and store information. It is hopeful that stores will soon give you only what is necessary, and provide the rest optionally or simply just available on their website. 

It seems that many stores, particularly from large grocery store chains, spend a lot of receipt space advertising themselves even though you’ve just shopped there. The giant “Ralph’s” logo that I see on the receipt from my last shopping trip will ensure that I have Ralph’s in mind next time I need to buy a gallon of milk. Many stores also like to give you information about what you “saved” by using their club card, which undoubtedly provides the shopper with feelings of accomplishment once they’ve left the store. Its just part of a culture of excess.