Why do most teacher require double spaced and single sided reports to hand in?

Although I agree with the tradition in terms of readability, I think at this point it’s more a persistent relic from a time when we didn’t really think about recycling or reducing waste.
    Ask your teacher if they mind you using single space, or even 1.5 spacing, or wider margins, or double-siding. Any or all of these strategies can cut down on your paper usage.

I noticed recently, towards the end of my time in college, that teachers were changing their ways in this area. Many of my teachers (still enforcing the double-spacing) encouraged double-sided printing or printing on the back side of recycled paper. 

I think they like it because it gives them more room to write comments and make grammatical corrections.