why do more people smoke in colder temperatures?

smoking is bad

As a former smoker, I have to venture the opinion that cold weather triggers cigarette cravings.  I know that when I imagine a hot, sweaty day nothing sounds WORSE than a cigarette.  But thinking about a chilly night definitely makes a smoke seem more appealing.  Probably the same reason we like hot cocoa in the winter and cold lemonade in the summer.

Colder temperatures condense smoke.  Therefore, when someone is smoking during a cold season they have the ability to consume more smoke per lungful.  This allows the smoker to consume a larger amount of nicotine and create a stronger “buzz”.  When someone smokes in a hotter temperature, they receive less of a “buzz” and therefore find the smoke less appealing.