Why do companies think that greenwashing is a good idea don’t they know they will get caught?

Greenwashing has corporate appeal because businesses do not believe they will GET caught. They also assume that even when they are caught greenwashing, not enough of the public is knowledgeable enough of the process or of business tactics to care enough about it. The negative impacts of chronic greenwashing, spread rampantly by corporations like Wal-Mart, simply go unnoticed by the uninformed.

If you would like more information on the topic of greenwashing I highly recommend reading my linked pdf. It was created by Terrachoice, a market research group that does research on greenwashing. This pdf, “The Six Sins of Greenwashing” is the educated consumers bible for confronting greenwashing.