Why do companies require proof when a county does not want to use its product, yet companies can introduce any prducts they want without prior approval?

This question is in reference to the Marin County Plastic Bag Ban
The plastic bag is not an inalienable right. It is a product. When plastic bags were introduced and now have become ubiquitous, we as consumers are stuck with it. If, as a county, the people do not want it , they should have the choice and not have to fight a corporation because their profit are dipping. If the county has made the decision without a vote, then the county should show proof to the people of the county that it is looking after the welfare of its people and environment. The county should not have to prove anything to a free-market company. These companies want to be free-market, but as soon as their profits are dipping, they use the courts, the people’s taxes, to lean on. Just waste everybody’s money, not theirs, ours. We already see the damage of plastic and how damaging it is to the environment, why should we be forced to even have the plastic bag as an option?

Likely just that. By doing things like “asking for proof” they are likely just delaying and hopefully putting a halt to an expensive change imposed upon them. Also, banning the plastic bag is not as clear cut a legal initiative as it would seem. It’s not clear if the ban is to fight plastic bag production or plastic bag litter. Or both. There is a lack of clarity on both sides that make the Marin County Plastic Bag Ban a muddled judicial situation.

Acknolwedging the damage done to the environment by plastic bags, I can see why a plastic bag ban would be a wobbly endeavor to push through court. The plastic bag is damaging, but not a trafficked contraband. And as every court ruling can be used as a precedent for future court rulings, the future legal ramifications of banning a nationally legal object on a municipal or county level must be taken into consideration.

The plastic bag ban in Marin County doesn’t even seem to be about plastic bags. It looks to me like a reusable grocery tote initiative, as a tax will be placed on the use of some stores’ paper bags.

Paper bags are also no glorious bag savior. They’re made out of paper, which is made out of dead trees. And dead trees are made out of live trees (I kid — but no seriously). They are easier to recycle than plastic bags, but a full conversion of a supermarket to paper could limit their ability to use only recycled material for their paper bags. Also, they emit more greenhouse gasses in their production, consume more water and energy, and generate more waste. Things like these have to be rectified before a county ban can be effective.

I am a mild fan of the plastic bag. I reuse some in my home, and take the rest to my local co-op to put in their plastic bag recycling bin. I do realize that not feeding it to a bird doesn’t make up for the damage done by producing and distributing them, but plastic bags have important double uses in my home that cannot be replaced by paper bags, like trash bags for small trash cans, as well as for picking up my dog’s poop on the side walk. Show me a guy who does that with a paper bag, and I’ll show you a guy who regrets it. These reuses of plastic grocery bags are extremely common, and it is often costly to find an alternative. Costly not to big corporations with lots of money, or small businesses trying to make an easy profit, but to average people recovering from an economic recession (Okay, big evil corporations too).

It would be greener to use one big garbage can. It would be greener to pick my dog poop up with a pooper scooper and put in into…I don’t know, my pocket? But it would be greener it ignore paper and plastic as an option and carry your own reusable grocery bag to the store.

I am not trying to sway you, (Okay, that’s a half lie – but your opinion is perfectly respectable and comes from a genuine, altruistic concern for the environment and the planet) but this is the argument posed by opponents of the ban. I’m sure there is a monetary motive somewhere in Marin County’s local supermarkets, but the environmental consequences of banning the bag outright as opposed to a trash picking or plastic bag recycling initiative don’t look as if they’ve been thoroughly researched — or researched at all for that matter.

Sounds like the ban is working out for the turtles though. http://www.seaturtles.org/article.php?id=1918

Hooray Turtles!