Why did the oil along the top of the gulf disappear for a while?

Scientists are arguing over how much oil actually “disappeared” from the Gulf. While the federal government released a report that 75% of the oil is gone, other researchers find that about 75% still remains and that only 7-12% evaporated. Other possibilities for why some oil seems to have disappeared are that it sank to the bottom or coagulated. I’ve also heard it suggested that microbes may be eating up some of the oil, although I have not seen this validated by research.

Large patches of oil are being found deep below the ocean surface, including one that is as large as 10 miles long, 3 miles wide, and up to 300 feet thick. Scientist worry that there is still a large amount of oil unaccounted for in deep waters.