Why did Al Gore decide to become a very passionate environmentalist?

Al gore was lucky enough to rub shoulders with exceptional scientists during his time at Harvard. There, he saw persuasive evidence on the effects of global warming, and made it a point to integrate environmentalism into his political career. 

If you have the chance, read Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit. It is written by Al Gore and it presents his views and analysis of the environment, sprinkled with some personal anecdotes. I don’t remember the details, but I do know he talked a bit about what influenced him to become an environmentalist. The book is a bit long and winding, but his understanding of the environmental issues was very impressive for a politician. I personally think he became an environmentalist because he cares.