Why are some people so resistant to use ereaders?

One of the most common statements is that they prefer the look and feel of a “real” book.

There can be many reasons, but some of them are the cost to purchase a good ereader, it can be difficult to read them in some environments, if you drop it in the pool…. it isn’t necessarity recoverable, some people have reported finding reading an actual bok more relaxing then when they read it on an ereader.  People have concerns about batteries, data lose, not actually having a book to share – you ae not going to lend your ereader out, nor will you give it to the library or leave it somewhere for others.  I have one, I have books as well – I use them both.

Recently I’ve seen some anxiety about the fact that ereaders give too much power to the seller when it comes to the books you purchase and store in your device.  Because the device is connected to the Internet (so that you can purchase books from the device), it can be manipulated remotely by the seller.  Claims of “censorship” have a arisen because a seller can actually delete items from the ereader without the user’s permission.  An example of this occured when Amazon accidentally sold a copyrighted version of 1984 (how coincidental!) and then had to remove the book from several people’s devices because it had been illegal to sell them in the first place.

Thanks for bringing this up, Yoder. i hadn’t really considered how the e-reader was an environmentally friendly innovation until now. If demand for e-books became higher than for the paper variety, it might help us conserve  good deal of resources from trees, to energy, to whatever they are putting in ink nowadays. Buying one might also save me some space on my already crowded book shelves.

That being said, I would have a hard time spending $100+ on an item that does something that my laptop computer can already do and has far fewer functions. I would also very much miss the ability to share books I have read with others. Raiding my friend’s libraries, and having them raid mine, has long been a favorite pastime. I would miss it greatly if it were gone, as much as I miss perusing record stores or spending a few weekend hours in a real arcade (not a Dave and Buster’s).

Another reason oft-cited is the possibility of ereaders detracting from local libraries. In fact, the two concepts are somewhat antithetical. Pragmatically speaking alone, if you’ve bought a book on an ereader, you can’t donate it to the library when you’re done. You may only read it once, in which case it will simply sit in your ereader, unused, from then on. For some one who spent their childhood gleefully raiding library shelves, the idea of a book you can’t share seems odd.

Another point which some one else raised in a similar question was that with ebooks, the percentage of the sale which the author takes might shrink (especially if the ebook is sold for significantly less than it’s tangible counterpart).

I like the idea of an ereader, but will need a lot more disposable income before I buy one. I also really enjoy buying used books for cheap, which helps assuage my eco-guilt for the paper they use. 

To add to a previous comment, some people are thinking that authors may stand to make more money with ereaders because they can cut out the publisher, printer, and distributor and publish their books themselves. But they have to figure out how to self advertise as well.

I would say a big reason is simply a hesitance to change.  I myself was initially against e-readers, and realized quickly that I didn’t necessarily have a reason to be just yet.  I will say, and this may be silly, that I feel like I have a visual connections with books. I remember the size, the cover, the smell, the font, the print-style of a particular book.  When I pick it up again, I think, oh yeah, you.  An e-reader takes away the individuality of the experience a bit.  Also, I look at computer screens enough as it is.  I get tired of that kind of light, and would rather have the paper to read. 

I question the environmental aspects of it as well.  I wonder about the obsession we have with technological upgrading, and think about all the out-dated or broken e-readers in landfills.  But only trends will tell I suppose.