Why are reusable bags the best for the environment and energy usage?

Reusable bags are a much better option that choosing to use paper or plastic bags. While paper and plastic may seem more convenient, especially while grocery shopping, they are harmful to the environment. Plastic bags are not biodegradable – they break down into small, toxic particles, which ultimately harm the environment as they end up in soil and water. Reusable bags, however, are made from materials that do not harm the environment during production. They also do not need to be thrown away after one use, hence the name. It takes much more, in terms of cost of energy, to produce a plastic bag. The energy needed to manufacture plastic bags uses more resources that add to emissions causing global warming. Reusable bags are much more practical and safe, for they are less harmful to the environment and use less energy when compared to plastic bags.

I agree with shaunabannan that re-usable bags are actually more practical and safe than plastic bags. My own personal shopping bags are actually a pair of pannier bags that fit on the back of my bicycle. I have been using them all the way through college and they are still in great condition. I just snap them off of my pannier rack and take them into the store with me when I shop. Pannier bags come in a wide range of shapes and sizes, so you can pick them to suit your needs. They are also more durable than some of the cheap re-usable bags that my parents have been using when they shop by car. I highly recommend investing in a good bicycle and getting some pannier bags for grocery shopping. You’ll get exercise and reduce your carbon footprint at the same time!