Why are people so resistant to change?

It is perfectly natural for humans to resist change. The change from ideas and techniques will only come from hard work and experience. A big portion of this is that people are used to making their own choices and decisions. People don’t really resist the change they resist being changed.

There are many other contributing factors that add to weather a person is prone to change or not. The key to change is to always push yourself to try new things and experience other lifestyles. Once a person can become open to other ideas then they can begin to change.

I think that people are also resistant to change because we tend to be scared of what we don’t know and understand. We immediately feel out of our comfort zones because it is out the ordinary and what we have come to expect. I agree with the previous answer before me that we need to try and remain open to new concepts and ways of doing things especially if we are  going to try and live more sustainable and environmentally-friendly lives. Another thing that I would recommend everyone to do is be the change they want to see in the world, I feel that this is the best way to set an example for others and begin a revolution.

As nellieliz4 said, we resist change because we are afraid. Fear is an emotion that has adaptive significance. If we did not evolve with a healthy fear of unfamiliar situations, members of our species would probably walk off cliffs all the time and we would not survive to pass on our genes. However, too much fear can be a bad thing when it comes to things like trusting religion instead of science.

The amygdala is the fear center of the brain, and recent research on it has shown that Republicans have more amygdala activity than Democrats.

I think it depends on the kind of change. People get comfortable on ideals or beliefs that typically come from the way they are raised. Many people see their religion and outlook on the world as part of their identity. When you ask someone to change what they believe, they feel it threatens their identity. It may also be that people feel comfortable having the same beliefs as the people close to them, and they don’t want to be alienated (especially when it comes to religion, where there are different beliefs for what happens in the afterlife). It can also be pure stubbornness- people do not like to admit they are wrong or feel less independent if they believe something a person tells them instead of coming to the conclusion on their own.