Why are hybrid sales slow in China?

I don’t know for sure, but I can make a few educated guesses. One guess is that Chinese people would rather use bicycles and public transportation than private motorized transportation. Actually, that’s the same reason that I am not buying a hybrid or any motorized vehicle for that matter. I love bicycling. Bicycles have several advantages over cars. They allow people to get exercise while they travel, don’t cause nearly as much traffic congestion, and have a much lower carbon footprint.

The Chinese are economically driven and the cache’ of hybrid cars is not a status maker there right now.  The pollution levels in Bejing as of late may start changing that though!  The sales of battery driven and battery assisted bicycles are quite high in China and these are much more efficient than hybrids and certainly less expensive.