Why are energy companies charging so much money for electricity?

Even with deregulation, there is still a lot of government control and oversight in energy (utility) industries, mostly at the state level. In my state, Montana, my electricity supplier can charge for costs of transmission, but basically has to pass the wholesale price they pay on to customers. The wholesale price, in turn, is also regulated; any changes in any of this have to be approved by the State Public Utility Commission, and while some might point fingers at some costs, on the whole it is an open and public process and increases need to be extremely well justified.

In my opinion, and in my experience (your wattage may vary), what I pay for electricity is a reasonable reflection of supply and demand (plus reasonable costs for the delivery service).