Why are the economy and the environment so often painted as opposite interests? Has there ever been a study exploring the relationship between environmental policy and economic performance of states, countries, etc.?

I took a course last year called Economics of the Environment. I don’t think they are always opposite interests, but they often are conflicting. The way that the economy is set up it seems that the environment is just being exploited, but that is mainly because there isn’t any way for the environment to enter the economy as its own entity. It is usually a passive partner that gets taken advantage of in our economy. I’ve listed a few citations below but they may not be exactly what you are looking for.