Why are disposable diapers bad for the environment?

First of all, they take a lot of paper, plastic and also oil to produce, so they’re using a lot of resources for a relatively little benefit: you use it once and toss it out. Since they usually can’t be recycled, they end up in trash cans and then in landfills. According to some estimates, it takes up to 550 years for a diaper to decompose; not only is it sitting in the environment this entire time, leaching chemicals, but an animal might try to eat it and get sick.

Finally, there are plenty of unhealthy things in human feces, including bacteria, that can leach to the bottom of the landfill and into groundwater. This is why it is usually illegal to throw out human waste, but diapers are excluded from the law.

Skpennell got it right on. The only thing I have to add is to the comment about is an animal eating the diaper: this is VERY dangerous because it can cause diseases to spread to other animals and possibly even humans. Babies, and young kids, are often given small dosages of live viruses when they get immunized. As the body processes this the virus ends up in the feces. An animal gets into the garbage and maybe doesn’t eat the diaper per say, but eats a piece of food the diaper leaked on, now that animal has the virus in it’s system. This actually happened to my puppy when I was 10 years old. She got into the neighbor’s garbage and ate a diaper of the neighbor’s baby who had just been immunized. My puppy had to go through several courses of antibiotics and almost died.