Who’s the coolest environmentalist?

Jack Johnson is definitely one of the coolest. Creating songs such as “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle,” and creating the Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation which is focused towards environmental issues, Jack Johnson is an amazing environmentalist.

2. mle

“Cool” is obviously relative, but I think Ed Abbey is one of the coolest environmental authors.  With quotes like these, how can anyone be cooler?

“The missionaries go forth to Christianize the savages – as if the savages weren’t dangerous enough already”

“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.”

“That which today calls itself science gives us more and more information, and indigestible glut of information, and less and less understanding.”

and the classic:

“One final paragraph of advice: Do not burn yourself out. Be as I am-a reluctant enthusiast… a part time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it is still there. So get out there and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains. Run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, that lovely, mysterious and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.”

I don’t know if he is still cool, but Leonardo DiCaprio is an environmentalist, and I thought he was pretty cool when Titanic came out back in the day.