Who is your favorite landscape photographer?

Ansel Adams hands down. The pictures he took of Yosemite were the reason I fell in love with that park. I have fished, hiked, and camped there almost every year. I recently saw an exhibit of his from pictures he took in New Mexico along side paintings Georgia O’Keefe did of the same area, as the two were friends.

Ansel Adams is very talented and has been extremely influential. Mark Bergsma has also been capturing beautiful landscape photography since 1979. He finds great subjects for his photos, such as gnarly trees or mystical forests. He resides in the northwest where he finds amazing natural beauty and puts it on film.

Barry Collins does some really neat landscape photography.  What I like about him is that he works in the city, country, and on the beach.  I really like when photographers are versatile.

This may be different than what you were thinking when you posted the question, but my favorite landscape photographer is not someone who seeks to create beautiful, picturesque images. Instead, artist generally produces work that is thoughtful, troubling, and sometimes even disturbing. 

Edward Burtynsky’s photographs deal with how nature is transformed through industry; these photos are some of the most striking I have ever seen, and are often unsettling and attractive at the same time. His work has been displayed in many museums and galleries worldwide and bring up a lot of questions concerning how far we are willing to go for “progress”. Here is an excerpt from his artist statement, taken from his website:

“These images are meant as metaphors to the dilemma of our modern existence; they search for a dialogue between attraction and repulsion, seduction and fear. We are drawn by desire – a chance at good living, yet we are consciously or unconsciously aware that the world is suffering for our success. Our dependence on nature to provide the materials for our consumption and our concern for the health of our planet sets us into an uneasy contradiction. For me, these images function as reflecting pools of our times.”

-Edward Burtynsky