Who is your environmental hero/idol?

I would have to say John Lennon.  Though he didn’t focus primarily on the environment, his campaigns for peace and nonviolence were so inspiring to me. He wanted everyone to love one another, and he wanted everyone to respect the earth.  It’s just so tragic that his life had to be cut short — if only he were alive today.  

Me personal favorite environmentalist is Howard Zahniser.  He has been dead for 45 years, but he was almost personally responsible for the Wilderness Act of 1964, which has preserved over 100 million acres of land in the US until today.  Zahniser wrote the act in 1956, and after 8 years of many rewrites, 18 public hearings, and himself personally lobbying almost every person in congress, he finally got it passed, only to pass away a few months before it was signed by the president.  The link I attached has a bunch of influential environmentalists, but he has always been my favorite.

David Suzuki.  He is a Canadian zoologist and environmental activist.  Since I was very young I remember watching The Nature of Things with David Suzuki.  He really peaked my interest in issues facing the world and has been on top of them now for decades.  A real innovator, and has a prowess that is unmatched (maybe by David Attenborough) is portraying the information and making it accessible to people of all ages.

Below is a link to his Foundation.

John Muir, father of the Sierras. “Nature is ever at work building and pulling down,” he wrote, “creating and destroying, everything whirling and flowing, allowing no rest but in rhythmical motion, chasing everything in endless song out of one beautiful form into another.” -John Muir

I have to admit that I am a lover of early American literature, and some of my favorite pieces that have been written about the environment come from writers of this time.  Authors like Emerson, Thoreau, and Whitman were not debating in a house of commons over a necessary legislature–like some of the greats from previous postings.  Their fire came from illustrating a beauty that can only be found with a connection to nature and one’s environment. They emphasized the love of oneself and those around.  Some key works of theirs are Nature, Self Reliance (Emerson), Walden (Thoreau), and Song of Myself (Whitman).