Who was the first “scientist”?

Lately, al-Hassan Ibn al-Haytham has been gaining recognition as the world’s first true scientist.  He was born in 965 AD in what today is Iraq.  He was the first scientist to correctly state how we see, being the first scientist to understand light and its role in vision.  He was also the first scientist to attempt to use math as an explanation for his theories and observations.  For these reasons among others, he has over powered Aristotle (who made many observations but nothing much else) for the title of the first scientist.

He was 200 years ahead of the Europeans in science. Interesting this is my first time hearing of him. In school I was taught a person of European descent was the first scientist. I am glad I came across this question because I learned something new myself.