Who do you think has taught us the most about the importance of the environment?

Here I could cite the environmental activists and scholars we all know, like John Muir, Rachel Carson, and Al Gore, but I think when we do that we are putting the responsibility in someone else’s hands. We expect other people to stand up and tell us what to do, but we are still facing the same problems we have been facing for generations and things seem to be getting worse rather than better. Everyone knows about how important the environment is, everyone has been taught and learned about these environmental icons and still more species are going extinct and the future is looking less bright. It’s great to have icons to look up to and teachers to guide us, but ultimately we need to heed their lessons instead of genuflecting to them. Everyone should be an environmental icon and a teacher because we are all students in this world. The environment is important, everybody knows that, but how many people can actually say that they are doing everything they can to protect the environment for the life forms that depend on it now and in the future?

This is probably not the place to rant but in researching for this question I stumbled upon a video that made me rethink where I wanted to go with this answer. Instead of gazing starry eyed at celebrities to see if they will jump into a Prius or a Hummer, we need to be listening to the people whose opinions really matter, our children.
    Check it out: http://ecochildsplay.com/2008/11/11/positive-environmental-role-models-for-children-severn-cullis-suzuki-silenced-the-un-with-speech-on-climate-change/