While walking the shores of Lake Superior we encountered numerous freshwater clams on the shore. Had never seen this before. Is this a normal occurance. We pitched many back in the water then wondered if we were doing the right thing.

What is your opinion on this situation.

Next time I would probably leave the clams alone, depending on how far they are from the shoreline.  It is very common for clams to bury themselves right at the water’s edge.  Most clams have a difficult time surviving in water over 6 feet deep.  It is a bit unusual that they were on the surface of the sand, but they are built to survive these situations. 

I agree. Animals tend to have a way to survive built in the DNA, and moving them to another location could go against everything their evolution has given them as a means of surviving.