Which wars have been the most devastating to the environment?

That is a very thought-provoking question. I personally think wars in general have a devastating impact on the environment, with foreign chemicals introduced into the atmosphere and critically damaging the natural habitat for both humans and animals. Furthermore, I’m not familiar with every wars that have ever existed, so in that sense, I may be lacking in information. However, the first thing that came to my mind for a critically damaged environment due to warfare is no doubt the Nagasaki/Hiroshima nuclear explosions. Not only is the death toll mind-boggling, but the after effects are invasive and haunting. Radioactive particles floated around the air and everything was damaged or polluted, and this suffering lasted for many, many years. 

The link cited below discusses different wars and their respective consequences on the environment. 

During the Gulf War, as Iraqi forces retreated through Kuwait, they released oil valves and pipelines to slow the American troops after them. As a result, 240-336 millions gallons of crude oil flowed into the Persian Gulf. (To put that in perspective, experts estimate that the BP spill has resulted in 190 million gallons of oil spilled). Wars definitely take their toll their on the environment and this is just another of many examples.