Which US cities are the most friendly for pedestrians and bicycle riders?

The Huffington Post actually has a great top-20 list of cities in the country that are most bicycle friendly.  At the top is Minneapolis, Minnesota.  I was surprised at first, but considering how flat Minneapolis is, that makes sense.  I live in Seattle, and although the local governance is very bike friendly, the terrain is very much not!

Linked below is that top-20 list:

Minneapolis, Minnesota is currently ranked as the top bicycle city in the U.S. by various rankings.  This is due to their “120 miles of on- and off-street bicycle facilities, plus indoor bike parking and other cycling-friendly facilities.”  Portland has been number one for several years, but was dethroned for 2010.  Portland is first in percentage of daily bicycle commuters.  It has a $600 million 2030 Bicycle Plan, planning for a time when 25 percent of all trips in the city will be made on two wheels.

I live in Portland, Oregon and find this place to be very biker friendly. There are bikes all over the place. There are also biker friendly bridges and bike lanes that make it easy to get around the entire city. The terrain out here isn’t too rough, but there are definitely some hills that should be avoided. One of the things I love about this city is how pedestrian friendly it is. You can walk or ride a bike to get almost anywhere.

I have to agree with the above posters and say Portland. I visited last year and, while I didn’t get a chance to ride a bike, it was so easy to walk everywhere. The downtown area is compact and easy to navigate, and the city is so pretty that it’s really enjoyable to walk everywhere. Also, Irvine, CA, my hometown, is amazingly bicycle friendly. The whole city has not only a lot of bike trails, but bike lanes in all the streets, which makes it easy to share the road with cars and not worry about getting sideswiped.