Which state has the largest coal mines?

The top nine coal mines, in terms of production, are all located in Wyoming.

Some of the largest coal mines in the world are in the Western Coal Region. The Western Coal Region is comprised of states Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Since Wyoming is the state with the largest coal-producing state in the region as well as in the US, I would assume that it contains a number of the largest coal mines. (I couldn’t find a definitive measurement of the actual coal mines, only production.)

Wyoming is not only the production leader, it does it with just 20 mines. #2 West Virginia, with less than a third of Wyoming’s production, does it with 283 mines.